St. Patrick’s Day 2023 is going to be the biggest one yet! There is a full day of activities around Kilkenny city, from pre-parade parties to Castle Park Festivities, to the St. Patrick’s Day Parade itself. Here we’ve broken it down so you can plan your perfect March 17th in Kilkenny city!
Starting at 11am
- Big Wheel, Vintage Carousel, Festival Market on the Parade Plaza. (11am – 6pm)
- Pre-Parade Party at MacDonagh Junction
- Castle Park Festivities (11am-5pm) – Vikings, Vintage Cars, and a chance to run away with the circus!
Starting at 12.30pm
- St. Patrick’s Brass and Reed Band at Market Cross
- Samba Katz drumming performance outside Bank of Ireland at the top of Parliament St.
Starting at 1pm
- Fuinneamh – The Big Community Drum at Canal Square (1pm-6pm)
- Find your viewing point for the Parade! Route: John St, Rose Inn St, High St. Market Yard
Starting at 1.30pm
- Kilkenny St. Patrick’s Day Parade 2023!!!
- This year there will be three presenters along the route, on John St., at The Review Stand (at the bottom of Patrick St/The Parade) and outside the Market Cross with an additional speaker near the Bank of Ireland. So throughout the route you’ll be tuned in to exactly what’s happening!
Starting at 3pm
- The Hit Machine on the Festival Stage – bottom of Patrick St/The Parade.
- Rhythm Riot at the top of Kieran St (near Scrumdidlys)
Starting at 3.30pm
- Karbunklis Latvian Dancers – outside the Castle gates
- Déise medieval viking battle demonstrations – Kilkenny Castle Park
Starting at 4pm
- Reel to Reel on the Festival Stage – bottom of Patrick St/The Parade
- Mr. Boom’s Drum Show – Mayors Walk
Starting at 4.30pm
- Hakuna Matata Acrobatic Show – Canal Square
The Castle Park Festivities finish up at 5pm.
Fuinneamh Community Drum, Festival Market, Big Wheel and Vintage Carousel close at 6pm (all returning again on Saturday!)
6pm – Now it’s time to head to Kilkenny Tradfest where there will be craic agus ceol well into the night!
On the day please:
- Take note of road closures
- Walk, cycle or share transport if possible
- Remember we live in Ireland – pack the rain jacket and the sunscreen!
- Be respectful and kind to our neighbours, participants and attendees.
- Help keep everyone safe by following stewards instructions
- Note: The lost child pick up location is at the Review Stand/Festival Stage. If you come across a lost child please find the nearest garda.
Follow us on Facebook or Instagram for live updates across the festival weekend!
Check out our 2023 At A Glance page for a day by day schedule and other useful information about the festival.